Email spam and phishing is evaluated to cost industry more than $1 billion every year, and cybercriminals are ending up being more advanced in the campaigns they execute to extract classified information or passwords from unsuspecting Internet users.
A spam scare campaign is focusing email addresses, in which the attacker claims to have embedded a virus in adult web videos that is:
- Recording keystrokes made by the computer user
- Video recording
- Collecting contact information from messengers, emails and social media.
The email asks for bitcoins in exchange for not releasing this data. Bitcoin is an electronic currency with no central bank that relies on cryptography to secure and control transactions.
This campaign is not necessarily targeted. It is likely that the spammer has a spam list of email addresses they have sent this email to. It is not necessarily related to visiting any adult website.
Ways to protect yourself
- Don’t pay the ransom. This is a scare campaign and there is no evidence that any data has been recorded. We recommend that if you receive this email (or any extortion email) you do not pay the ransom.
- Even if an attacker does have data, paying a ransom will only fund their activities, and it is likely they will ask for more money. You should never pay a ransom.
- Never reveal confidential data or passwords requested in an email or on a web page you have arrived at after following a link in an email.
- Secure your devices. Use anti-virus software to monitor and protect your computer and other devices (like smartphones and tablets) from infection, and keep your operating system and applications up-to-date.
- Enable spam filters on your email, keep your anti-virus software up-to-date and enable two-step authentication on all your accounts whenever possible.
If you have any concern in relation to this article or you are not sure how to stay safe from the spam scare campaign, feel free to contact Computer Support Professional’s friendly technical team. We are available 24/7.
Call us 1300 660 368 OR Send us email on email@example.com